Monday, August 26, 2013

I Bought a Book


 I bought a book.   Hardly worth mentioning?  Ah, but this is first step to opening up your mind.  What is a book?  The book I bought does not exist yet.  ‘What’ you may ask, an internet scam!  No but I was bamboozled….by an artist!  On a Thursday afternoon and without expectations I and three other artists ventured south to Colorado College in Colorado Springs.  We were going to an exhibition curated by my friend and colleague, Alicia Bailey titled ‘Book as Object’: An International Survey of Sculptural Book Works’.
 
 
 I knew Alicia was excited about hearing the artist Angela Lorenz speak about her work.  I had no idea who she was or the other artists, what kind of reputation they had or what exactly they did; I was along for the ride.
 
 
 The food was gone when we arrived.  I had been looking forward to the elaborate spread.  The students had sniffed out the free high class fare like pigs find truffles! Never mind, I was there to feed my soul and spirit.  Alicia gave her curatorial speech and then introduced Angela Lorenz.  I attentively listened to Angela without knowing what on earth she was going to talk about.  She talked about her work and her approach to her work. Then she specifically talked about two pieces she had brought with her that were part of the exhibition.  One book was a pack of gum, ‘Chewing Tzu’, and another was ‘Soap Story’ comprising of six small cubes of soap and a mini picture album without pictures.  She called for the audience to get up and come to the table beside her that had several bowls of water and the small cubes of soap.  I skipped the communal hand washing – I hate baths, too but that is another story – and when the soap was gone, we were summoned back to hear the results.  Angela then proceeded to read from the damp pieces of what looked like ripped rags made of linen that had emerged from the soap.   Even though she had given us background information on the story and paraphrased the story, I was still mesmerized and thrilled.  I could not explain this feeling.  I sat there on the floor with 20-something students, book art lovers, curators, artists, utterly transfixed and with a stupid grin on my face.    What moved me was how this puzzle came together.  Between Angela telling us about the story, the background that inspired it, the process of ten years she spent trying to figure out how she could communicate this story, the ‘soap stories’ she created in her life and the lives of others after publishing her book, it all seemed impossible yet it was true.  Here we were creating another chapter to be recorded in our memories and our feelings.  I had to have a piece of this.
 
 
 I settled for lingering over the table with items for sale.  Soon the satiated students dissipated and the ‘hardcore’ were left.  Alicia was talking amongst admirers and I eavesdropped at the ‘for sale table’.  Okay, I’ll buy this book, ‘The Theater of Nature or Curiosity Filled the Cabinet’ (trade edition) by Angela Lorenz.  I hung about catching snippets of comments from Angela and her admirers.  It reminded me of my years attending numerous pop concerts; hanging out hoping to talk to or see the band.  Eventually, Angela was surrounded by the curators of the gallery, Alicia and her entourage, which included me.  A discussion was going on about food, restaurants and directions.  While others fetched coats I spoke with the object of my growing admiration, the charming Angela Lorenz. 
 
 
 I was purchasing her book, when she told me I could buy an additional book about her work for half price.  Done.  I made some flattering comments about her presentation, her work, how inspired I was by her as an artist.  I told her how wonderful her soap story was.  She smiled, a sly smile if I recall, and produced the soap story piece she had opened during her talk, soaps intact, and offered it to me at a reduced price.  I tried a lame excuse about not having my business check book with me but I knew I wanted it.  Angela was a true artist and a saleswoman to boot!  She suggested that I send her a check.  I was warmed over with her trust in me and was sold!  Gosh, she’s good.  I felt a kinship with her, I am not a bad saleswoman myself, and quite frankly, wanted to be like her.
 
 
  I had the pleasure of dinning with Angela and company – all women.  Wonderful food and conversation: talk of our families, our history, and our work.  In less then five hours, I had made new friends, had an adventure, fallen in love, re-visited my past and considered my future.  I laughed, almost cried and arrived home to have a cup of tea and snuggle with my husband; a perfect ending to a soap story.
 

Kim Harrell
www.eastendarts.com

This experience took place in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment